Once you have imported your podcast from Blubrry to Captivate using our easy import process, it is vital that a 301 redirect is added to your old RSS feed.
A 301 redirect is something that tells directories such as Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify that your feed has moved from Blubrry and to "look" at your new Captivate RSS feed for your podcast.
Note: 301 redirects should only be used after your show has been imported to Captivate and once we have all of your episodes from your old podcast host.
So how do you add a 301 redirect to your Blubrry feed?
Before you start, you will need your new Captivate RSS feed:
- In the top menu of your Captivate account you'll see the Copy Feed URL link. Click that and your Captivate RSS feed will be automatically copied to your clipboard.
Once you have your new Captivate RSS feed, you need to choose the redirection method you wish to use (Redirection plugin, or Manual 301 redirect), and carefully follow these instructions to ensure that the 301 redirect is added correctly.
Via the Redirection plugin
- Within your WordPress dashboard, install and activate the Redirection plugin.
- Click through the intro screens (simply click the blue next buttons until done)
- Enter your current RSS feed into the Source URL box. Note: you only need the feed address that comes after your domain name - you do not need to enter http:// or https:// or your full domain name in this box.
- Enter the Captivate RSS feed into the Target URL box.
- Click Add Redirect to update your settings, and then test the redirect is in place using the Google Chrome browser.
The Manual 301 redirect
If you prefer to do a manual 301 redirect, you need to be comfortable with editing WordPress root folders and files. Depending on the type of access you have to your WordPress installation, enabling a manual 301 redirect requires the creation or editing of an .htaccess file.
For the full steps required for this type of 301 redirect, check out this Blubrry article.
Note: We recommend that you keep your Blubrry account active for at least three weeks following the redirect to ensure that your listings update with your new RSS feed. This is a standard recommendation across all hosting platforms.
Recommended reading: What is and when to use a 301 redirect.