At Captivate, our mission is to help you grow your podcast, which is why we offer podcast analytics that really help you understand how your show is doing.
From Unique Listeners to Episode Comparisons and more, we want to give you the tools you need to produce the kind of show that attracts listeners.
Which is why we offer Individual Episode Analytics for your podcast, so you can really drill down into how each episode is performing, and more. 😁
Accessing Your Individual Episode Analytics
There are a couple of ways to access your Individual Episode Analytics.
- When logged in to your Captivate dashboard, you can click on the analytics icon on your Latest Episodes screen (note: this just displays the last three episodes)
- On the left hand menu in your Captivate dashboard, click the Episodes tab and this will open up your Episodes section. From here, simply click on the analytics icon of the episode you want to dig into.
Once you click on that episode, you have a bunch of different metrics to analyze your show's performance:
- Downloads overview
- Daily trends
- Web player analytics
- Web player listener coverage
- How they listen
- Where they listen
Just like the downloads overview in your Captivate dashboard, this gives you a quick snapshot of your episode's performance over a set period of time.
- First 24 hours
- First 28 days
- Total (all downloads since publishing your episode)
This is a great feature to help you work with sponsors, and enable you to include key listener data when creating your Sponsor Kit in the Marketing section of your Captivate dashboard.
This section shows you the number of downloads your show received within a selected timeframe:
- Since episode was published
- Last 7 days
- Last 28 days
- Last 60 days
- Last 90 days
- Last calendar month
- Custom (where you can choose a specific date range)
- Single day (where you can choose a specific day)
When looking at this data, you have the option to either show a chart that displays downloads as they happen or cumulatively, so you can see where your show might be reaching a plateau for downloads.
Web Player Analytics
At Captivate, we provide an amazing web player for all our users, that can be easily embedded on any website platform you like!
With Web Player Analytics, you can now see how many people listened to your episode via your embedded player.
- Unique Listeners are how many people listened to that episode via your web player. Because it's Unique Listeners, you can be sure the data is accurate - even if the same person listened to the same episode multiple times via the web player, we'll only count them as one listen for that time period.
- Consumption shows how many listeners used the web player to listen to an episode, versus across all the various podcast apps.
- Minutes played shows how many minutes an episode has been listened to on the web player.
- Minutes replayed shows how many minutes of your episode was replayed by a listener (if they misheard a section, for example, and replayed that part)
Web Player Listener Coverage
When you're trying to determine how your show is being received by listeners, simple downloads aren't enough. You want to know their interest, where your show grabs attention, and where it peters out.
With Captivate's Web Player Listener Coverage, you can view that information and optimize your podcast accordingly.
Here, you can see exactly where your episode is most effective, and where you might need to look at making some changes, to hold attention.
In the example above, you can see attention dropped a little around the 1:30 minute mark, but then spiked again between 2:00 and 2:40 minutes. Listeners then start dropping around 3:20, but hold steady until after the 5:00 minute mark.
If you're analyzing that episode, it might show you that you need to introduce your key topic earlier in the episode to grab attention, and then offer smaller tidbits around that topic to hold audience attention.
This data can really help you optimize every single episode, and grow your show the way you want it to grow.
How They Listen
This shows the devices/apps that your listeners used to listen to your episode within the selected date range. This includes your Captivate Web Player, and if it was listened to on desktop or mobile.
Where They Listen
This shares where in the world your episode listens came from during the selected date range.
Note: Dig even deeper to the locations of your downloads by clicking on the different areas of the world map!
Recommended Reading: Podcast Analytics with Captivate - Overview
Note: In the top right of your analytics screen and on your main Captivate dashboard you'll see "Last Updated" information so you can see the last time we updated your data for you. Sweet!