When you take advantage of Captivate's features and benefits as the hosting, analytics & marketing platform for your podcast, you have the option of either creating a brand new show or importing as many existing podcasts as you like from other podcast hosts.
Common hosting providers that podcasters import from are Buzzsprout, Libsyn, Blubrry, SimpleCast, Anchor, Podbean, Fireside.fm, Podiant and Audioboom but Captivate supports free imports from any host on the planet 🌎
We have made it super easy to import your podcast but before you start...
Note: Sometimes your old host will have it set that your show must only display, for example, 150 episodes in your feed. We have made sure that Captivate checks your episode numbers and that if we detect that your show has published more episodes than are in your feed, we let you know to change that setting in your old host before importing. It's the little things, right?
This is a complete, step-by-step guide to importing your podcast:
- Head to My Shows in your Captivate account and select Import Your Podcast.
- Add your current RSS feed into the first field and select your current host.
- Click Next: Check Some Sample Episodes.
- Check to ensure that the details of the three example episodes are correct.
- Click Looking Good? Check Your Show Settings Next.
- Again, make sure that the details that have been copied over are correct.
- Click Next: Set Up Your Feed URL.
- A new URL will be created however you can choose your own if you prefer.
- After reading it, check the Important redirect information box.
- Click Import My Podcast!
Note: for added security, when you begin importing an RSS feed, Captivate will trigger a verification email to the address registered to the feed, letting you know that the import has started.
This next bit is super important!
Once your podcast has been fully imported from another host, you will need to ensure that a 301 redirect is added to your old RSS feed to your new Captivate feed.
A 301 redirect is something that tells directories such as Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify that your feed has moved and to "look" at a new RSS feed for your podcast.
Note: After you import your podcast from another host, you do not need to submit your show to Apple, Spotify etc again - they will read the 301 redirect from your old host and automatically know that you've moved.
Here are some guides to help you migrate from your old podcast host:
- How to migrate your podcast from Buzzsprout
- How to migrate your podcast from Libysn
- How to migrate your podcast from Anchor
- How to migrate your podcast from Podbean
- How to migrate your podcast from Simplecast
- How to migrate your podcast from SoundCloud
- How to migrate your podcast from Blubrry
- How to migrate your podcast from Transistor
- How to migrate your podcast from Spreaker
- How to migrate your podcast from Blog Talk Radio
Here's some useful bits of information to take a look.
Some hosting providers, such as Libsyn, will ask you to give us a tag to add to your new RSS feed - the tag that they give you looks like this:
<itunes:new-feed-url> http://www.myfeedurl.com/rss.xml </itunes:new-feed-url>
That's great and is needed, but Captivate automatically adds that tag for you when you import your show, so you need take no action on it. It's the little things :)
Heads up on Spotify if you're coming from Libsyn or similar:
Libsyn has a separate RSS feed for your show in Spotify. You can find this by going to https://yourfeedname.libsyn.com/rss/spotify.
Libsyn will need to add the 301 redirect to that feed too as it is separate from your "main" RSS feed with them.
You can ask their support to do that or head to Destinations > Spotify in Libsyn to do that yourself.
Note: you may have to go to the "advanced" settings in Libsyn, too.
You can also log in to https://podcasters.spotify.com/ to make that change, too.
Recommended reading: The Captivate Podcasting Dashboard