We all know how important it is to make it easy for listeners to actually listen to your podcast. After all, not everyone likes having yet more apps on their phone.
That's why we created Captivate Websites, to offer a simple, easy, and beautiful way to promote your show as well as grow your listeners.
Every Captivate customer gets a free website and all the cool features that comes with it, including email sign-up forms, custom domains, Google Analytics, and more.
The best part? Setting up your Captivate Website is super easy!
Setting Up Your Captivate Website
When you're logged in to your Captivate dashboard, click on Website in the left hand navigation menu. This will open up the Podcast Website settings, where you can choose between Captivate Sites, and Captivate Sync™, our WordPress plugin.
Make sure the toggle is switched to On, which will open up the various design options, and then click Save.
The first thing you'll notice are the six options available to you for customizing your site.
- Basic settings
- Email opt-in
- SEO & sharing
Each option gives you the ability to customize your site, and choose what features your listeners will see. Let's start with Basic Settings.
By scrolling down the page, you'll see that here you can choose from the following:
- Site layout
- Domain configuration
- Website colours
- Episode settings
We've made it super easy to change these settings, so let's dig in! 😀
Currently, you can choose from three pre-made templates for your Captivate Website.
- Standard - our default Captivate Website design, and features a large hero image header, 5 latest episodes, a section where listeners can find your show, and an About the show section as well as an About your hosts section.
- Sidebar - similar to the Standard design, Sidebar keeps your episodes top of mind, with some extra show notes being visible, as well as moves the About description and where to listen to your show into a sidebar section, making them more visible.
- Central - taking a more minimal approach, this design removes any distraction, and offers clean, white space for your episodes and Calls to Action to shine!
As a default, whenever you create a Captivate Website, we'll provide a URL for your site that you can share online. This would look something like this:
However, if you have your own custom domain you'd like to use instead, it's super easy to set this up.
When you switch the Use Custom Domain option to On, you'll see the option to update your URL to the one you wish to use. Simply enter your URL and then click Save at the bottom right of the screen.
You'll then have to update the DNS Records of whichever domain registrar you use, so they point towards your Captivate site, either by editing or creating a new "@" and "www" record. Check out our guide on linking your custom domain to your Captivate Website.
A DNS change can take between 24-48 hours to fully update, but once done, you're good to go. :)
Here you can choose the colour scheme for your podcast website, so it ties in to any other branding you have for your show, as well as online/social media. Simply click on each option to use a preset colour, or input your own hex code.
- Body: the main colour for your website background. We'll take this colour and automagically use this for some complementary colours on your site. :)
- Header: the colour of your website's header.
- Footer: the colour of your website's footer
- Highlight font: the colour of your website's highlights and links.
- Header font: the colour of the text in your header.
- Footer font: the colour of the text in your footer area.
Here you can choose which order your episodes are displayed to your listeners on your website - either oldest first, or newest. Most podcasters use newest episodes first.
And that's it - you've completed the Basic Settings of your Captivate Website, and you're well on the way to having a beautiful site to show off your show. Woot! 😂
Next up, it's time to set up your Header section.