Captivate has been built to work beautifully with Podcast Websites, the world's #1 managed WordPress service for podcasters and of course, with WordPress itself via Captivate Sync™. Captivate can also be used wonderfully with other website platforms by using the Captivate embeddable podcast player.
But, when you launch your podcast very often you need something simple, something effective and something to showcase your show.
That's why with every podcast hosted using Captivate, you'll enjoy a completely free podcast website that is easy to use and looks stunning on any device.
Plus, we're always adding new features and designs for you to customize your site with!
Configuring your Captivate podcast website
To access your Captivate website settings:
- Sign in to your Captivate dashboard
- Choose Website from the left-side navigation
You'll be asked how you intend to use your podcast with your website, as follows:
- I want to use Captivate Sync™ with my own WordPress website
- I'm a Podcast Websites member
- I only want to use the Captivate embeddable podcast player with my SquareSpace, Wix or other website platform
- I want to use Captivate's podcast website
We're going to focus here on the last option: I want to use Captivate's podcast website.
Having chosen to use Captivate for your podcast website, you'll see five tabs that allow you to quickly and easily setup your podcast website:
- Basic Settings
- SEO & Analytics
This tab contains the base settings for your website:
- Enable podcast website? - Turn this on to activate your website.
- Use custom domain? - Turn this on if you'd like to use your own domain name rather than the built-in Captivate domain name. Learn about this here.
- My website address (if the above is "on") - enter your custom domain name here to link to your Captivate podcast website.
Within the basic settings tab you can also configure your website colors:
- Body - The main color for your website background. Captivate will intelligently use this to set certain section colors, too.
- Header - The color of your website's header.
- Footer - The color of your website's footer.
- Highlight font - The color of highlights and certain interactive elements on your website.
- Header font - The text color for your header area.
- Footer font - The text color within your website's footer.
Your website header sits atop your website and contains some pretty standard information, including your podcast's social icons which are pulled in automatically from your marketing suite. Learn about that here.
Customization options for your header are:
- Logo - Your brand logo. Sure, you can use your podcast cover art but an actual logo for your podcast's brand is better!
- Title - Text that will display where your logo should be, if you don't use a logo.
- Fixed header - If you choose this, your website header will shrink a little and stick to the top of your website for your listeners.
- Hero image - A really nice big, bold image for the background of the "intro" section of your website.
- Overlay - Some hero images don't do too well with text over the top of them, so you can add an overlay here to make sure that any text you place in to hero title and hero subtitle is nicely legible.
- Hero title - A welcome message for your listeners, be nice :) This won't show if left blank.
- Hero subtitle - Something descriptive and welcoming as a follow up to your hero title. This won't show if left blank.
SEO & Analytics
Here is where you can validate your website with search engines - we're always expanding this section, too to stay up-to-date!
- Google verification - Your Google verification meta tag.
- Google analytics - Your Google Analytics tracking code.
Decide whether to showcase your podcast team or certain members of the team by clicking their profile card.
By entering some basic sharing information here, your website will look great when shared on social media.
- Title - Enter a simple, descriptive title for your podcast that will be used in search engine results and social shares; keywords for search are good here but don't go crazy! (60 characters, maximum)
- Description - A simple, explanation of your podcast's website that will be used in search engine results and social shares. (320 characters, maximum)
- Social sharing image - A 1200px wide by 628px high image, ideally a .png file to avoid social media compression, used within previews of your website on social media.
Have a tinker, your site will look great by default but go ahead and make it your own!